Just added two new pics to the Saint gallery - just some rough color pieces. There's an unfinished upper body shot of Tyler with his wings - probably not going to be finishing it anytime soon, so might as well put it online. Also, a toonier (and grumpier) portrait shot of Tyler, which was fun to work on even if the style doesn't look right at all.
I'm really quite excited about how this story is going, despite my moments of self-doubt. I just need to get out of my habit of reading editor blogs and query information and then panicking. Just got to concentrate on the task at hand first!
How are all you lovely lot? Let me know by leaving a comment or visiting the forum. How's your week been, and what are your weekend plans?
The new domain, emmamaree.com, is just about finalized - still got a few tweaks to do before we redirect everything over, but from here on out all links to the used-goods.net/forbidden_knowledge/ blog redirect to the relevant posts on emmamaree.com. If you link to the blog at all, please change the address.
I hope everyone likes the new site design. The blog posts are now on the main page for all to see, and the design now integrates a bit more closely with the forum and the new store.
Some picture-laden stories from Edinburgh will follow shortly. We were hoping to go to Inverness' rock night Alternative X this weekend, but unfortunately (at no fault of the organisers) the Ironworks won't take Citizencards for ID so my fiance got refused entrance.
I could rant for a while on the messy situation regarding IDs where in most places you need a passport (which is unwise to carry about with you) or a full driver's license (which I have no chance of affording at present). Government PASS-marked cards like Citizencard should be accepted in most places, according to their site, but it barely ever works so they're a bit of a waste of money. A few people have suggested provisional driving licenses, but it seems a bit hit-and-miss who accepts those? Comments are welcome there.
Never mind, though - Hi-Ex next weekend! Quite excited about my first visit to the Highlands' Comic Expo - it should be great seeing some of the more indie publications advertising there, and the artists themselves. Also, Stormtroopers! <3
Update: Alex has pointed out that the provisional driving license should be accepted in most places. However, Ironworks remains an exception to the rule.
Oh my! I'm just back from my usual check of the Gurn From Nairn to see if anything exciting has happened in the town, like a new shop of a stray sofa, and I find a link to this blog on the sidebar. :O
Being a bit of a fangirl of the Gurn, with it's psychic predictions of Nairn goings-on, reminders to go to events that I still forget to go to, and shadowy network of 'unreliable sources', it adds a bit of excitement to the seaside town.
For newcomers, this blog is part of the main site of myself, author and amateur artist Emma Maree Urquhart. I caused a bit of a stir in 'ness after having a fantasy novel (and later, a sequel) published at the age of 13. It sold well, though I never made any money from it due to the less than reputable publishers who took a lot of money from budding writers in the Highlands and further out.
I moved to Nairn with my fiancé chiefly for the cheaper house prices, though I think it's beautiful as well. =) I now work in IT and continue work on my next novel, when I'm not being a crotchety hermit getting angry at Nairn youths for sitting on the bin.
This blog is for cryptic updates on my writing, reviews of anything and everything, sketches and artwork, and guilty fan admissions of the likes of 'Ohmygod I'm in love with David Tennant'.
In the spirit of local news, I should say that the heater is broken in the certain Nairn IT consultancy firm where I work. I've been surviving on tea and porridge and looking enviously towards the areas covered by the portable heaters they bussed in from Inverness. Arguments have erupted over which is a better warming drink, coffee or tea. You can leave a comment with your pick, but if you don't say tea I will reach out of your computer screen and slap you.
Hopefully, it'll be fixed when I get in tomorrow. Then I can shift my focus to solving the mystery of the dissappearing Ian Rankin books, which were ordered from the book club but failed to show up with the rest of the order! Egads.
Now, before I wrap up this blog post - there's a movement among Nairn blogs right now to get the word out about local blogs, so here are my picks:
The Gurn From Nairn - The Alpha Male of the Nairn blogosphere (did I just use that word?), it knows all.
My Nairn - MyNairn offers some very well-written posts about goings on in Nairn, from rising prices to rising tides.
Where Mountains Meet The Sea - I've only just discovered this blog. It's very beautifull and artistically presented, with stunning photos.
Do you have a blog I haven't mentioned? Local, personal or otherwise, feel free to link to it in the comments. :D I haven't seen any Inverness blogs out there, so I'm curious if some will make an appearance.
Sorry for the lack of posts - life has been busy, and fantastic.
The Blog has a new theme, it's a temp one until I can redo the site to something more lightweight.
It used to be I would post about anything important - and, as things go, the important things would often be the worst. Unfortunately, when I post negative or awful things, having to go back over them later just makes me regret ever writing it...
So today, have a post about the good things.
- I got to work with my fiance, and the transition between lovers and mates is a flawless as its ever been. Treating him as a colleague just works and it's so nice to have such a close friend.
- On IM he made some lame joke and posted 'It was worth it, it made you smile". Long after the joke was forgotten, seeing it still made me smile.
- My friends caught wind of some issues we were having with a tenant and we talked (well, ranted, in part) about it over e-mail. Seeing them there for me when I'm stressed or low never stops being unbelievable.
- They helped me get a present for someone very special to me! (Hint: It's not Dave. This time.)
- Dave and my friends conspired together to bring home a tub of Ben&Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream. I'm undersleeping and overstressing so thinking of me like that makes me squee.
- Just e-mailed my agent and stated something I've only just realised: I am happy with my writing right now. Sure, I edit and re-edit and angst about my style and prose; I never get enough writing done to satisfy me... but I'm very confident in the direction my work is going, and the way this series is going to turn out.
To summarize: Everything is awesome.
Hope you can say the same.
Advisory: This post quotes homophobic slur-words.
As often as I use it for reference, the Wikipedia community isn't one I care much for. Though always stringent when it came to rules, lately they've become almost tyrannical, and the sites owners seem to support it, introducing I.P. recording for all visitors - a move that takes a bold step out of the comfort zone for the privacy-conscious.
Buuuuuuttt that's not why we are here.
Why we are here is to laugh at vandalism.
Some recent edits got flagged up by the forum members, prompting me to do a bit of investigation into the history of some of the pages. And there, I found this beauty:
'''''Dragon Tamers''''' is a novel about jared and his adventures with his good freind betty the dragon they get up to all sorts of mischief, in the sequel, mason comes along, he is well known as the evil Lord Gandolf, he is also a dragon tamer, but his dragon, Frodo is not as well tamed as jareds betty, this series is written by [[United Kingdom|British]] author [[Emma Maree Urquhart]].
Also, a later edit: jared is a poof.
I want this on a t-shirt.
JARED IS A POOF.
Also amidst this edits were the words "I'm on drugs." Was this directed at the author of these edits, or at yours truly? We may never know, but to me it seems like a cry for help from our dear intoxicated editor.
His drug-fuelled world is filled with dragons called Betty, David Bowie with insane hairstyles, and epic fantasy focussed on very short people.
Hey. I’ve been away a while, it feels, though those of you stopping by the used-goods.net front page will know otherwise.
Due to being a dangerously chaotic kind of administrator, and… well, liking plug-ins, the blog was inaccessible for a while.
It’s been fixed, and more cool things should happen from hereon. I still lack my Macbook, though, so the full amount of reviews, artwork, writing and perhaps even podcasting will be held up.
But I’m still alive, so, I guess… this was a triumph.
(Portal references are a lie.)
I was in the process of jazzing up FK with some plug-ins when I found an automatic wordpress update plugin. Itw worked like a charm, and now everything's working smoother than ever, complete with a new backend. The admin layout is a lot brighter and fun to use, this makes me happy. :3
Now, this blog has been neglected of late, but I'm working on sorting that. Look out for fun things like this in the future:
- Life updates. My boyfriend and I move in to our own house on my birthday, the second of October, which along with the workload requiredb to afford this is sucking up a lot of my time.
- Writing updates. New short stories are underway, including a new one you can read over at the forum.
- Art updates. I'm still drawing, I just don't have scanning time.
- Reviews. Books, movies, games, anything really... I'll be working on developing my critical abilities.
- Essays. I'm still in two minds about this, haha, it reminds me a bit of school, but I should be attempting some essays.
- Site updates. UG's overhaul is still not completely finished - I need to sort out issues with spam on the blog and news, for instance.
- Merch updates. I will eventually get round to designing new products from Punk Ethic. Where I will get the funds to create these projects is another question entirely.
- Creation of a 'member's club'. This is more complex, and still under construction, but I'm working on unifying membes via a feature called E.Maree's Army. It might involve premium forum status or access, early viewing of sample book chapters, exclusive wallpapers and other such goodies.
How I'm supposed to do this with SMF, WordPress and a normal HTML/CSS site is a good question. xD
Also, if anyone reading this and is proficient in WordPress design, I'm looking for some help integrating the blog into the main site's layout. Give me a buzz at firstname.lastname@example.org =]
Thanks for reading.