Idea stolen from Steph Bowe’s blog, because I thought the idea was fantastic.
There are a lot of genres and ideas I’d love to work with, and my to-do-list of ideas is a mile long… but here are 7 things I’d love to write:
- Calligraphy. My handwriting is atrocious (and my signature is even worse, urgh), but I’d really like to learn Calligraphy one day.
- Hard Sci-Fi. There are very few women out there writing hard, technical sci-fi (and there are some good discussions about it). I’d love to change that, but a little voice at the back of my head tells me I don’t know enough science and math to pull it off. I still plan or writing softer YA sci-fi, though.
- Contemporary YA. My writing always leans towards ordinary, flawed people going through extraordinary events.I’d love to strip out the fantasy aspects and do a contemporary, like something by John Green or David Levithan.
- A very ‘British’ fantasy or sci-fi. Ala Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams. Just something with a strong, British voice (or a strong Scottish voice, either would be good).
- Cyberpunk. This one is on the to-do-list. I love cyberpunk stories, and I’ve got the techie bones to pull it off, so at some point I definitely expect to write some awesome cyberpunk stories.
- Middle grade (children’s) fiction. Another one on the to-do list, I’ve got a few ideas for children’s stories that I’d love to try one day.
- A Memoir. Maybe when I’m older, and my life is interesting enough…
- Songs. I’ve been writing lyrics for years, and I’m pretty good at it, if I do so say myself. But apart from singing, my musical talent is lacking. If anyone knows an up-and-coming rock band in need of some dark and sarcastic lyrics, give me a bell and I will channel all my years of teenage angst into musical goodness.
What about you, writer-friends? I’d love to hear about what you want to write, so drop me a comment or link me to a blog post!